Monday, January 3, 2011

Fitness Apps

I was perusing other fitness blogs to get ideas and came across a wonderful site called "trying fitness."  The site is currently featuring an article about the best fitness apps for your smart phones.  Here is a link to their site.

It also got me thinking that I should share some of my favorite apps!

When I was getting certified as a pilates instructor, I had to learn all of the different muscles in the body, their functions, and which muscles and bones they connected to.  At first I felt like I was back in 6th grade anatomy, but quickly realize truly understanding this anatomy helped me in reaching my dance goals.  Seeing how integral the core abdominal muscles were (and truly understanding the cue "abs in and up") was career changing knowledge.  Without knowing the muscles groups and their functions, this revelation may have never happened.  I found several wonderful apps that helped me learn the muscles and their functions.  3D4medical.com produces several applications about the skeletal and muscles systems.  They also have app games and quizzes so you can test your knowledge.  I enjoy Muscle System Pro (they also have a FREE version which is great!) and 3DQuiz.  It helps make those long subway rides feel productive!    I also love the Learn Muscles app! It is perhaps the most comprehensive and cost effective app I have found.

For those of you who are interested in pilates, there is an app simply called pilates interactive.  It gives you a long list of pilates moves accompanies by pictures and videos.  It's great if you are on the go and want a quick pilates fix.

If you are calorie counting - My Fitness Pal is a very helpful app.  It easily keeps track of your calories and exercise for you.

And of course - you need Pandora so you can have work out music!

I'll be back in NYC tomorrow night.  After all the unpacking, dance and fitness videos will follow!:)  Until then, learn your muscles!

No comments:

Post a Comment