Sunday, February 13, 2011

Question for the readers - do you have any singing stamina tips?

Usually I give out fitness advice on this blog, but today I would like to ASK for advice!

I consider myself to be an in-shape person.  I take daily dance and pilates classes. I'm an "always take the stairs and walk when you can" kind of girl.  I can make it through a 3 minute figure skating routine.  (3 minutes sound paltry?  YOU try it!)  What I can't do - is make it through Juliet's Waltz (AKA "Je Veux Vivre" from Gounod's opera ROMEO AND JULIET) without being completely exhausted halfway through and needing a very hearty meal and long nap afterwards.

So, if you are a singer (or musicians of any kind), I would love to know what you do to get yourself in shape for long and challenging songs.  Are there any special breathing or music exercises you do?  Are there concentration exercises?  How do you pace yourself?   If you have any suggestions please e-mail them to musclesformusicians@gmail.com and I hope to include them in a future blog entry!  Help out your fellow musicians - and your fellow dancers trying to get their voices in shape!  It would be much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment